Bonna Devora Haberman – the Israeli founder of Women of the Wall – plans to engage and inspire Jewish communities and institutions throughout North American from the end of Dec 2013 – Feb 2014.
Expect compelling values, cogent ideas, engaging delivery, and joyous innovation. She offers a vibrant, ethical approach to profound questions about human life and meaning, nation, and faith.
Dr. Haberman’s current work focuses on three core challenges facing the Jewish People and Israel today:
- The meaning, relevance, and destiny of the State of Israel, Zionism, and Judaism
- Gender – roles, participation, decision-making, leadership
- The Arab-Israeli conflict and Palestinian nationalism
Having grown up in Canada, studied in the USA, Israel, and England, Bonna Devora Haberman fuses critical interpretation of texts and culture with passion for social betterment. She earned her doctorate in Ethics and Education at the University of London and has taught at Hebrew University, at Harvard, and at Brandeis where she founded and directed the “Mistabra Institute for Jewish Textual Activism”.
Bonna Devora Haberman publishes and teaches widely. She is the author of ReReading Israel: The Spirit of the Matter – National Jewish Book Award finalist, and Israeli Feminism Liberating Judaism: Blood and Ink. She co-directs YTheater Project Jerusalem, a unique collaboration between an Israeli Zionist and a Palestinian nationalist who agree about virtually nothing, yet persevere to create together.
Dr. Haberman explores Israel and Judaism from intriguing new perspectives and contributes responsibly and creatively to their refinement. She conveys contagious delight in the uniqueness of Judaism while honoring and celebrating human diversity.
Sample topics – subject to tailoring to suit your community or institution:
- Israel – in love, again
- Women Beyond the Wall: Innovations in Jewish thought and practice
- The Zion Cycle – Current proposals for the Jewish People
- Field reports from an Israeli Zionist – Palestinian nationalist partnership
- Redeeming Jewish Wedding
- Judaism for a Change: Reviving the revolution
- Meaningful Prayer – for the soul and society
- Parenting Israeli Commandos: Confessions of a feminist
- The Fringe Commandment: Daily ascent by means of a delicate thread
- ReReading Israel: A text-inspired strategy for a more redeemed state
All topics, these and more, are available in the following formats:
- talks / public lectures
- lively seminars / shiurim – with supervised text study
- experiential workshops – using theater tools (no experience necessary)
More details, links to publications, video etc. are accessible on these websites:
For inquiries and bookings, please contact:
phone: +972 54 737-4410.